chopper

official world cup thread

Yeah, but after 2 games a piece anyone can advance in our group. Total group of death.

It's a very competitive group, and it's going down to the final game very exciting to watch for sure. How's Germany treating you btw, do you ever want to see a beer again?

crybabies!...the red cards to both US players were more than fair, specially the first one.

Wrong! I always thought if you get the ball first, that negates any type of card...the first half of the match was marked way too hard, then it was hands off the second half...too inconsistent...

Latin American League = Liga de Llore, LOL!!!

lol...latinamerican players love to dive and dramatize, sometimes you may think they took acting lessons.

Wrong! I always thought if you get the ball first, that negates any type of card...the first half of the match was marked way too hard, then it was hands off the second half...too inconsistent...

That rule has a lot of sides..for instance, you cannot slide from behind and hit the opponent even if you touch the ball...in case of the american player it didn´t matter if he touched the ball or not, the red card was for stamping his foot in the italians leg.

lol...latinamerican players love to dive and dramatize, sometimes you may think they took acting lessons.

So true and i think there is a vid out there where you can the Italians practicing the "art of diving," lmfao!!!

So true and i think there is a vid out there where you can the Italians practicing the "art of diving," lmfao!!!

Word!! Dusty! word!

that italian ref was a joke...

Right now the round of sixteen looks like this

Germany vs Sweden & England vs Equador

with more match-ups to be finalized by the end of this week

England 2-2 Sweden.

The game was good but owen's injury was hard to watch on the replay for me.

The swedish side played shit and both their goals were kinda flukes. All of their shots were from corners aswell.

Here's hoping England can beat Equdor and that Owen will be good enough to play. :)

EDIT: I just read that Michael Owen is set to be out of action for the rest of the world cup! He tore a metatarsal and is expected to be better in about six months time.

I just read that Michael Owen is set to be out of action for the rest of the world cup! He tore a metatarsal and is expected to be better in about six months time.

wrong, hes ruptured his anterior cruciate knee ligament.

Not a big soccer fan but have tried following the USA in world cup and it is pretty obvious to me that whoever the powers that be are do not want USA to advance. First all the red cards against Italy and now when the USA ties up the game a completely BS penalty is called in the box during overage time of the first half. Both guys were going for the ball. There was no push. USA player had his arms outstretched they both went up trying to head the ball and they both go down. No wonder the sport has not become popular here like it is in the rest of the world.

No wonder the sport has not become popular here like it is in the rest of the world.

now you know that's not why it's not popular here yet.

but yea, can't believe how this has gone so far. Game was great until the bad call for the penalty kick. How do the refs keep making these HORRIBLE calls in the worst situations? What a terrible call. Ghana back up a goal even after the U.S. FINALLY gets their own goal in this World Cup by that goal by Dempsey from Beasley (who made an AWESOME pass).

U.S. is gonna need to rally big in the second half, they've seen they can score in this game, now they just gotta go out there and do it a few more times and hope the refs don't screw em over yet again.

The game is never going to be popular here.

1. Football is king here.

2. Baseball is America's pasttime

3. Basketball is a great sports, especially coming off great playoff years

4. Hockey is a fast paced physical game. Also coming off of outstanding playoffs.

5. Nascar has made huge strides

6. Golf

7. World Series of Poker

8. Tennis

9. Boxing

All those sports are higher up on the pecking order for the majority of american sports fans. Soccer will never make any headway in this country. EVER. The world cup is huge every where in the world. Its meaningless in the US. NOONE REALLY CARES. Except Beta, Christian, and DUSTY ;)

It's not just the U.S.A who have received bad calls, but the refs have been

really good this cup. You should be a customed to the bad calls as concacaf the region we play in is notoriuos for bad calls made by the central american refs. You have to play through the bad calls, and try to bounce back. The refs have a tough time as it is, we have the luxury of replay,but when your in the refs position you have to make a call. The U.S. has a good team, but for some reason they stunk it up against the czechs and that's the reason they are not advancing, you can't afford to have a bad game like that in a tournament like this.

Until US succor fan starts bringing machetes to the matches or burning down the host city we’re not going to get the calls. LOL

Bush should have moved the fleet in the North Sea before the cup started lol

The US does not need to dominate every aspect of the world. Maybe a few ass kicking will give us a chance to show humility and respect for our fellow inhabits of the world…….noooooooooo lets nuke em LOL

It's not just the U.S.A who have received bad calls' date=' but the refs have been

really good this cup. You should be a customed to the bad calls as concacaf the region we play in is notoriuos for bad calls made by the central american refs. You have to play through the bad calls, and try to bounce back. The refs have a tough time as it is, we have the luxury of replay,but when your in the refs position you have to make a call. The U.S. has a good team, but for some reason they stunk it up against the czechs and that's the reason they are not advancing, you can't afford to have a bad game like that in a tournament like this.[/quote']

That sounds really nice and of course its true bad calls happen all the time but this was a killer. We just tied the game. Huge momentum swing going into halftime. Not saying its the only reason USA isnt advancing cuz obviously its not but from what I have seen and again I am a novice but it seems as though in order to get a penalty kick the infraction has to be pretty damn flagrant and obvious which this was neither. There are penalties that are called on the rest of the field that are not in the penalty area just because its in the penalty area. This was not even a weak foul. It was not a foul at all. Bad Bad Bad Bad call. No other way to see it.

the call today was a bad call... i was really hoping that the US would advance into the 2nd round, but i honestly think they weren't focused (i think they were good enough though). this was a tough group and they got beat by a good team 3-0 (Czechs) got a little lucky against italy 1-1 (own goal) and then had some bad luck and lost to the Ghana. Ghana had to play the same teams and they managed to advance. i just don't think the US really really wanted it. otherwise they wouldn't come out so flat.

The game is never going to be popular here...

...The world cup is huge every where in the world. Its meaningless in the US. NOONE REALLY CARES.

Hmmm.... Kinda like the metric system... ;-)