Firefighter947

The OFFICIAL NFL Thread

4,861 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Ynot said:

So Matty,

How about the NFL opener.  The Browns gave your boys almost more than they could handle.  Then of course we go and play the Ravens and get lit up.  

I believe the Browns are going in the right direction, they just need to stay the course and Jimmy needs to be patient.  Can't blow it up again after this year.  No matter what.  

Browns definitely looked solid vs the Steelers.    I do think some of our players are rusty from barely playing in preseason or not playing at all....but I think the Browns looked smarter and more disciplined on defense....and Kizer showed flashes.

Its too soon to say anything though.    I thought they were on the right track several years ago but they ended up going backwards.     I like several pieces, but I still dont like Jimmy Haslam as owner.   If he stays out of it and remains patient, I think things might pay off.   Im not convinced his ego will allow him to do that, though.

Time will tell.   :ph34r:

5 hours ago, MiztaBlu22 said:

Browns definitely looked solid vs the Steelers.    I do think some of our players are rusty from barely playing in preseason or not playing at all....but I think the Browns looked smarter and more disciplined on defense....and Kizer showed flashes.

Its too soon to say anything though.    I thought they were on the right track several years ago but they ended up going backwards.     I like several pieces, but I still dont like Jimmy Haslam as owner.   If he stays out of it and remains patient, I think things might pay off.   Im not convinced his ego will allow him to do that, though.

Time will tell.   :ph34r:

You are spot on about Haslam.  He's got a huge ego.  Who else runs a GM/Coach out after 1 year.  I think he's ran 2 coaches out after 1 year.  It all runs together with so many coaches.  Defense wasn't as good vs Ravens, but still were in much of the game.  Kizer played liked a rookie.  Makes some good throws but trying to force throws.  Normal for a rookie.  He needs to show a lot of improvement by next season or we'll be picking another QB.  

4 minutes ago, Ynot said:

You are spot on about Haslam.  He's got a huge ego.  Who else runs a GM/Coach out after 1 year.  I think he's ran 2 coaches out after 1 year.  It all runs together with so many coaches.  Defense wasn't as good vs Ravens, but still were in much of the game.  Kizer played liked a rookie.  Makes some good throws but trying to force throws.  Normal for a rookie.  He needs to show a lot of improvement by next season or we'll be picking another QB.  

Yeah....Haslam honestly needs to give this regime 5 full years.   The Browns were such a disaster when Hue Jackson and company took over.    Actually, its a disaster every time a new regime has taken over, but Haslam seems to expect immediate results....which just arent going to happen short of some kind of miracle offseason.   I really like what Im seeing from the defense, but its an extremely young defense that is still missing some key pieces, especially in the secondary.    The Browns have some phenomenal pass rushing talent and speedy LBs.   On offense, I still think they need alot of work.    Kizer has shown flashes, but if the Browns are picking top 3 in the draft again, they shouldnt pass on a top QB unless there is some extremely special talent at another position.   I like David Njoku and Corey Coleman as building blocks.   I still think they lack a true number 1 WR, RB and obviously, not convinced yet that Kizer is a long term starting QB in this league.

Bottom line....they have a decent foundation to build on, but there is still alot of work to be done.    Hopefully, Haslam realizes that and lets it play out for another 3 years, because the constant turnover and rebuildling is never going to get the Browns anywhere.   The one thing they have lacked for pretty much ever in the modern NFL is stability.   I dont know if the current regime is the right answer or not, but when you hire people to fix a team that was in the shape the Browns were in when they took over, you damn well better be prepared to give them at LEAST 5 years.   There is such a culture of losing there, that not only does the regime need to find the talent to make a good team, they also have to turn the attitude around, because lets face it....when good players go to the Browns via free agency, its MAINLY because they just want the huge paycheck....not because they want to win Superbowls.     The Browns need to be able to draw players who want to come there to WIN....and that will take some time.     

If I were the Browns, a few things I would do....

1) If they are picking top 3 in the draft in 2018, take a QB.   Its a strong QB class, and even if you like Kizer, competition breeds excellence.   Draft a QB, have the rookie and Kizer compete for the next 2-3 years and hope one of them becomes the franchise guy.     If they both look great, you could probably trade one off for 2 first rounders at some point.   And also, try to bring in a quality veteran backup to go with these QBs.     Maybe a guy like Carson Palmer next year.....not to start, but just to give them a veteran presence for the young QBs to learn from.

2)  While Crowell is good, I dont think he is a feature back.   You dont necessarily NEED a feature back in todays league, Crowell seems to think he is going to be one and wants to be paid as such (based on what Ive heard/read)..   IF they lose him, there are plenty of directions they can go next year.    I am of the opinion that quality RBs arent extremely hard to find and that the OLine is heavily connected to how successful a RB is.   I just hope the Browns dont go and spend huge money on a guy like LeVeon Bell.  Not because Bell is a Steeler and it would pain me to see him on the Browns, but because I just think that would be a desperation move, and I hope (for your sake, anyway), that the Browns have moved on from that.    Carlos Hyde will likely get a big payday, but MIGHT be more affordable if you want a feature back.   For a tandem backfield....maybe sign Jeremy Hill and draft a speedy back to pair him with.....or something along those lines.

3)  WR is really the position I think the Browns need to be focused on.  If there is one position I think they should spend big on, its WR.    Now, I know that doesnt always work out....but if they like Kizer or draft a rookie, they need to give him a reliable weapon.   Coleman is a nice deep threat....and Njoku should be a good TE....but they need a quality possession guy.     Unfortunately, the only WR that I think could do wonders for the Browns in free agency is Sammy Watkins, but I think he will be resigned by the Rams.   His presence has made Goff a much better QB.   The Browns need that.

4)  Joe Thomas is great, but I think he is slowing down a bit.    Doesnt have the same lateral movement he once had.  Still good, but it might be time to move on there.

5) I really like the potential in the Browns front 7....but I think they still need another big bodied DT.  Shelton is good.   They dont have much beyond him.

6)  Secondary still needs alot of work.   Peppers should be solid.   Not sold on anyone else as true, long term starters.    Guys like McCourty and Taylor are stop gaps.   The Browns pass rush should help whoever is in the secondary, but they need to add some talent.    This is another position I think the Browns could potentially spend big on come next offseason....if the right people are available.

Pardon my rant....but its 8am and I cant sleep, and I have work from 3-11....fuck my life.   

Well, another week and another loss for the Browns.  This time to the shitty Colts.  They came back, made it close, but Kizer needs to cut down the the mistakes.  I see potential.  He's gotta get it going soon or they'll draft another QB.

Also, how about them Steelers?

I caught the Chargers on Sunday at the Stubhub Center in Carson, CA. The game did sell out. Milffan's favorite athlete, Philip Rivers, managed to throw 3 interceptions early in the game and dig the team into a deep hole. The Chargers were in the game through the 4th Quarter. The Chargers fans showed up and cheered the team on. 

I took a few pictures. Here's my photo album on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/DuL3B

Philip Rivers’ 3 interceptions doom Chargers in loss to Kansas City

CARSON >> Even after relocation and a coaching change, this remains true: The Chargers will only go as far as Philip Rivers takes them.

On Sunday, that reality did not look reassuring. In their second game at StubHub Center, the Chargers fell to Kansas City, 24-10 — dropping to 0-3 for the first time since 2003. And Rivers, making his 188th consecutive start, deserved a healthy share of blame.

The veteran quarterback dug the Chargers into an early hole, throwing three interceptions in the first 20 minutes. The first two picks set up short fields for Kansas City, which needed just eight plays to score its first 14 points. The third led to a 31-yard field goal.

“Any time the quarterback plays that poorly,” Rivers said, “it’s going to be tough to win.”

“We can’t start drives with our defense on that side of the field,” safety Tre Boston said. “Four or five times today, our backs are against the wall.”

Rivers also escaped a close call early in the fourth quarter, when a deep pass bounced off receiver Tyrell Williams and into the arms of safety Daniel Sorensen. After a review, officials ruled the pass incomplete.

If not for the Chargers’ stingy defense — which held Kansas City to 3.4 yards per game through the second and third quarters — the outcome could have been even more lopsided.

This is not to say that Rivers, who turns 36 years old in December, is washed up. For years, the 6-foot-5, 228-pound passer has been the engine of the Chargers’ offense, making five playoff appearances and six Pro Bowls. At his best, he is still a thrilling conductor, one capable of dropping dimes and commanding late-game comebacks.

Read More: http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20170924/philip-rivers-3-interceptions-doom-chargers-in-loss-to-kansas-city

[The Daily Breeze is the local South Bay paper. (Santa Monica Bay)]

Here's some commentary from the San Diego Tribune:

L.A. Chargers crowd is at least better than its team

Chiefs fans were relatively muted. For most of the game, it was far louder inside StubHub Center when the Chargers were on defense.

“They showed up,” safety Jahleel Addae said of Chargers fans.

Read More: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-chargers-chiefs-0925-story.html

LA is a melting pot with transplants from all over the USA, much more so than San Diego. There are going to be a significant number of opposing fans attending every game at Stubhub. Many of those fans live in the LA area. LA also gets a significant amount of tourists unlike cities such as Cleveland. The Stubhub Center Visitors side also seats more people than the Chargers Home side with outdoor seating. (See diagram below.)

LA currently supports two NBA teams and it can theoretically support 2 NFL teams especially with the new stadium coming. The Chargers will have their work cut out for them to build a strong fan base in LA and compete with the Rams.

20170924_131843.jpg

stubhub.jpg

Edited by BadArtie

11 hours ago, Ynot said:

Well, another week and another loss for the Browns.  This time to the shitty Colts.  They came back, made it close, but Kizer needs to cut down the the mistakes.  I see potential.  He's gotta get it going soon or they'll draft another QB.

The Sagarin Power Ratings are a useful indicator for sports betting/handicapping. Your Cleveland Browns are ranked at 31 out of 32 NFL football teams.

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

The Browns are coming to the StubHub Center to play the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday, December 3rd. I may attend that game. I need to see the Chokers beat somebody!

P.S. At least you have the Indians. Imagine having to root for the Sad Diego Sadres!

Edited by BadArtie

16 hours ago, BadArtie said:

The Sagarin Power Ratings are a useful indicator for sports betting/handicapping. Your Cleveland Browns are ranked at 31 out of 32 NFL football teams.

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

The Browns are coming to the StubHub Center to play the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday, December 3rd. I may attend that game. I need to see the Chokers beat somebody!

P.S. At least you have the Indians. Imagine having to root for the Sad Diego Sadres!

Browns covered against Pittsburgh.  Were favorites against Indy @ Indy which didn't make sense....  And the Rumors are that LA sucks so bad for football, Chargers may move back to San Diego

On 9/27/2017 at 4:14 AM, Ynot said:

Browns covered against Pittsburgh.  Were favorites against Indy @ Indy which didn't make sense....  And the Rumors are that LA sucks so bad for football, Chargers may move back to San Diego

Who knows? Maybe moving was a strategy to extort money from San Diego for a new stadium. I was surprised the Chargers moved to LA. I was under the impression that the threat to move was a negotiating ploy by Spanos. The Chargers have a fan base in Orange County and LA.   

It was also poor scheduling to have both the Rams and Chargers play at home on the same day for Week 2. 

I've bought my ticket for Seahawks vs. Rams and got a deal on a midfield lower sideline seat on the Rams side. I am looking forward to seeing the Rams play with Goff & Gurley at the Coliseum. It was fun to watch the Rams beat the 49'ers on the road despite some sloppy play from the Rams. The Rams have some depth to their offense with quite a few play options available with their roster.

As far as LA football fan history, the Rams moved to Anaheim (Orange County) in 1980. Al Davis took the Raiders and moved them to the LA Coliseum in 1982. The Raiders won Super Bowl XVIII in the 1983 season. The Raiders cut the Rams fan base in two with their move to LA. The Raiders also had a reputation for a "gangsta" fan base in LA as opposed to a game where you would want to take your family. Orange County is a separate sports market with the Angels and Ducks. I can see OC fans identifying with an LA team, but not the reverse. LA is a much bigger market. Some older Rams fans still hold a grudge that the Rams left for St. Louis. The combination of these decisions and factors killed the football market in Los Angeles.

Taking a family to an NFL game is an expensive proposition for most people. I don't mind dropping $100 for a Chargers Game or $200 for a Rams game before taxes and fees for a good deal on a midfield seat. I'd be reluctant so spend more unless it's a playoff game. I chat with young engineers with my sales job and get the impression most white collar millenials could care less about the NFL. When I talked to some of the older blue collar guys on a local aerospace metal fabrication production line, they were way more interested in the NFL than the younger engineers they work with. The recent National Anthem & ESPN commentator controversies obviously hurt the NFL with their key demographics. LA is a challenging sports market to build a fan base, especially with two new teams coming to the area at the same time.

Edited by BadArtie

I broke down and bought a Chargers game ticket and hat. I saw them choke playing the Eagles. The Chargers were in the game through the 4th quarter but let the Eagles get too far ahead early in the game. Rivers lets his emotions get the best of him. He threw some great completed passes. The Chargers got close within 2 points but it was not enough.

I'd go back again to the Stubhub Center to see the Chargers Girls. The stadium is a 5 mile drive from my house.

Here's the link to my Eagles vs. Chargers album with mostly Charger Girls Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/eKuc2

The Chargers Girls were impressive with their well executed choreography, beauty and poise. http://www.chargers.com/charger-girls

fW3EkO8.jpg

hYOtp3B.jpg

Ced2dO9.jpg

Edited by BadArtie

The Rams beat the Cowboys on the road! The Rams were an 8 point underdog from http://www.scoresandodds.com I've got my ticket to see the Rams play the Seahawks next Sunday at the Coliseum.

Rams prove they're the real deal by beating Cowboys

It looks different, sounds different and, more than anything else, it feels different.

That was evident from the whooping, hollering and joking in the locker room on Sunday after the Rams defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 35-30, before a crowd of 91,869 at AT&T Stadium.

Greg Zuerlein kicked a team-record seven field goals, quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley led the offense, and the defense came together in the second half as the Rams improved to 3-1 and stayed atop the NFC West with a second consecutive road victory.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-cowboys-20171001-story.html

Edited by BadArtie

3 minutes ago, BadArtie said:

The Rams beat the Cowboys on the road! The Rams were an 8 point underdog from http://www.scoresandodds.com I've got my ticket to see the Rams play the Seahawks next Sunday at the Coliseum.

Rams prove they're the real deal by beating Cowboys

It looks different, sounds different and, more than anything else, it feels different.

That was evident from the whooping, hollering and joking in the locker room on Sunday after the Rams defeated the Dallas Cowboys, 35-30, before a crowd of 91,869 at AT&T Stadium.

Greg Zuerlein kicked a team-record seven field goals, quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley led the offense, and the defense came together in the second half as the Rams improved to 3-1 and stayed atop the NFC West with a second consecutive road victory.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-cowboys-20171001-story.html

Good for you Artie!  Anytime the Cowboys lose, it's a good day!  

1 person likes this